The birthplace of fairy cakes is Great Britain (where it was thought that this petite sponge cake was the perfect size for a party of fairies.) I’ve adapted a recipe from Mary Berry’s Baking Bible.
1. Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F/180 degrees C
2. Cream the sugar and butter until fluffy and light.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time.
4. Pour in the vanilla.
5. On low speed, beat in the flour and baking powder until well combined.
6. Divide the batter into muffin tins lined with 12 cupcake cases.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Scoop out the centers of the cupcakes with a melon baller, mini ice cream scoop or knife. (A knife proved the to produce the cleanest circles.) Cut in half to create wings. Set aside.
10. Place raspberry, strawberry or your favorite jam into the hole. (About ¾ teaspoon.)
11. Pipe, frost the cupcake tops with whipped cream.
12. Decorate with the cake wings, a spot of jam and nonpareils to produce a fairy cake you fancy. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.