Vegan California Sushi Roll
A mosaic of flavors and textures are embraced in this vegan California sushi roll. If you like a bit of protein, add crab meat. It plays very well with crunchy veggies and creamy avocado.
Methods for making California sushi rolls may differ but the result is always tasty. Here’s another recipe that could be helpful. You choose.
This recipe is inspired by the Low Fat Vegan Chef.
For 1 sushi roll:
- 1½ cups cooked white short grain sushi rice (You'll have lots leftover if you make only one sushi roll.)
- 1 sheet dried seaweed nori (or soy paper)
- ¾ tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- (or ¾ tablespoon rice vinegar plus a sprinkling of sugar and pinch of salt)
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced and steamed
- 1 medium Japanese cucumber, thinly sliced (or an English cucumber)
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- Wrap up your sushi bamboo-rolling mat with plastic wrap.
- Keep a small bowl of water available to wet your fingers.
1. Smother a very thin layer of rice onto the mat.
2. Cover with nori.
3. Insert the veggies.
4. Using the plastic wrap, gently roll up the rice, nori and veggies.
5. Slice and do some California dreamn.’