Based on a Vegetarian Times recipe, this Nutella cookie is rich with chocolate hazelnut goodness....Caution: It may be hard to eat just one!
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Nutella, plus more for "frosting"
- 4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 36 whole blanched hazelnuts, for garnish
1. In a bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
2. With a handheld mixer beat the Nutella and butter until well combined. Add the brown sugar, then egg and vanilla extract. After all the ingredients are incorporated, pour in the dry ingredients. Mix well.
3. Wrap the dough in wax paper in a log shape. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Using a mini ice cream scoop, make little patties with the chilled dough. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are firm and have lost a glossy wet look.
5. Cool. Drop a little mound of Nutella onto the centers of each cookie. Perch a hazelnut on top of the "frosting".