Gluten-Free Caramel Pretzel Crumble Chocolate Almond Butter Banana Cake
Salted caramel pretzels presents the perfect foil for the beautiful balance of moist cake punctuated by banana, almonds and chocolate. Peanut butter is interchangeable with almond butter in this recipe. Almond butter may be a healthier choice. Whichever way you bake up this loaf cake, I do believe your lips will discover one luscious bite of deliciousness!
Inspired by Iron Chef Michael Symon's recipe as featured on ABC TV's The Chew.
- 2 cups crushed Glutino Gluten-Free Salted Caramel Pretzels
- (almost one bag)
- 3½ tablespoons almond butter, melted
- (for about one minute in the microwave)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon instant Italian Roast or freeze-dried coffee
- 1 cup Glutino Gluten-Free Pantry All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 or 5 super ripe ones)
- ½ cup stevia and sugar blend OR pure cane sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (½ cup for batter, ½ cup for crumble)
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9” x 5” loaf pan with baking spray. Set aside.
Crumble pretzels in a food processor. Add 3½ tablespoons melted almond butter to the gluten-free salted caramel pretzels.
Constantly stir while melting the 6 tablespoons of butter over low heat in a saucepan for about 5 minutes. Take the pan off the stove when a nutty aroma emerges and the butter is golden brown. Whisk in the instant coffee powder. Allow the coffee butter to cool while sifting the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter with coffee, sugars, egg, egg whites and almond extract. Scraping the bowl often, stir in the flour mixture. Sprinkle in a ½ cup of mini chocolate chips. When well combined, pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with the crumbled caramel pretzel and melted almond butter combination. Garnish with the remaining ½ cup of mini chocolate chips.
Bake covered with tin foil for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.