Easter Basket Cupcakes
Peep! Peep! Ready for some delicious kid-friendly fun?
P.s. Even those of us who draw only stick figures can unleash the inner artist with Easter Basket Cupcakes.
- 1 blue velvet cake mix or white cupcake batter created from your favorite recipe (dyed blue or any other color which sings to you)
- ½ cup chocolate cake batter
- 2 cups of chocolate frosting
- 1½ cups sweetened coconut flakes
- Green food coloring
- 12 or more marshmallow Peep birds
- Malted chocolate eggs
1. Prepare the blue velvet cake mix per package directions.
2. With an ice cream scoop, fill large cupcake cases ¾ full with the batter.
3. Mix up the chocolate batter.
4. Drop ¼ to ½ teaspoon of the chocolate batter on top of the blue cupcakes.
5. With a chopstick (or long skewer), gently swirl the chocolate into the blue batter.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out crumb-free. Cool the cupcakes.
7. Slather with the cupcakes with frosting.
8. Spread out the coconut on wax paper. Drop green food coloring onto the coconut. Mix in the green. (Coconut can also be placed in a sandwich bag with green coloring and tossed vigorously.)
9. Sprinkle the green coconut grass onto the cupcakes. Top with a marshmallow bird and chocolate eggs.
10. Share with children (your own or a neighbor’s) and treasure the smiles.
Tip: Leftover chocolate cake batter can be used to create mini cupcakes for the calorie-conscious grownups. Reduce baking time to 16 to 18 minutes.