This bread is full of contrasts: feather soft bread surrounded by crunchy crust, buttery sweetness accented with strings of sharp cheddar cheese.
This recipe is adapted from the Cuisinart Bread Machine Instruction Booklet
- ¾ cup lukewarm water between 80 and 90 degrees
- 3 tablespoons unsalted, softened butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour (Japanese bread flour or the finest bread flour available)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon yeast (active dry or instant)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Place all ingredients except for the cheese into the pan of a bread maker machine. (Apparently it’s important to adhere to the order listed above.) When your machine signals it’s time for mix-ins, pour in 1 cup grated cheese. Bake the loaf at the white bread setting.