Tamago Toji (Egg Soup)
My friend, Akio-san, is spoiled (deservedly so) with his wife Takako-san's meals. Sometimes she is called away to deal with family business in Japan. So, Akio-san is left to fend for himself. He very generously shared this easy yet stomach-warming recipe for egg soup (tamago toji) with spinach recipe.
For 2 servings:
- 5 handfuls of pre-washed baby spinach
- Water to just cover the spinach
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Dashi - Japanese soup stock
- Japanese togarashi chili pepper, salt & pepper to taste
- Steam spinach with water in a covered pan for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Bring dashi soup to a boil.
- Drop the egg and spinach into the dashi and stir.
- Sprinkle togarashi, salt and pepper in to taste.