Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes, #SundaySupper
Today’s Father’s Day #SundaySupper is all about Dad. (Scroll down for the Twitter event time and details.) Food bloggers from around the world are setting forth their best dishes for the patriarchs of their families. The founder of #SundaySupper, Isabel (aka Family Foodie) will be hosting this Father’s Day gala. Her noble mission is to bring more families together around the dinner table.
Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes are my contribution to the virtual party. As a metaphor for aiming and scoring high, I made edible mini basketballs. Beyond incorporating my father’s favorite flavor of chocolate, I wanted to express my gratitude for his encouragement of taking up any endeavor that made my heart sing.
Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes
Besides words of confidence in my abilities, Dad led by example. He gave up a cushy position as VP of Southeast Asia for a prestigious financial firm to take up work that was nearer to his heart’s calling. Yes, budget cuts were taken and belts tightened. But, the lessons gleaned from Dad’s brave move were invaluable. P.s. At the moment, he’s in a gorgeous home overlooking the Tampa Bay in Florida where wild birds do flybys and dolphins dance in the water. (Looks like there are rewards for following your dreams.)
Dad shares his easy chair with the kitty in Florida.
Here’s the how-to for the Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes. For the foundation I garnered “The Good Chocolate Cake” recipe from Conni, the Foodie Army Wife. Cocoa, buttermilk, coffee and vanilla are blended with plenty of butter, sugar and flour. The batter is then scooped with an ice cream scoop and baked for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Besides the tantalizing smells emanating from the oven, the taste is scrumptious. But not as sweet as I expected – which is a good thing. Especially when the flavor of frosting is peanut butter.
Moist chocolate cake slathered with peanut butter frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 T milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Combine the butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer. Slowly add the sugar and the milk. If the mixture is too thick, add more milk.
For the stripes of the basketballs, I piped chocolate frosting with a writing tip.
Note: It’s easier to frost and decorate cakes when they’ve been frozen.
How are you celebrating your Dad today? I’d love to hear in the comments section. If you need inspiration, scroll down and see the list of magnificent dishes and desserts designed for Father's Day.
Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
- Father’s Day Ribs by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chorizo Burgers by La Cocina de Leslie
- Whiskey Sliders by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beer Can Chicken by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pesto Shrimp Roll Sandwich by Growing Up Gabel
- Cast Iron Filet Mignon with Wine Sauce by I Run For Wine
- Grilled Tilapia with Blueberry Mango Salsa by Runner’s Tales
- Chicken Wings for Dad by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs by Curious Cuisiniere
- Tamale Pie Ring by Treats & Trinkets
- Grill-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew by Webicurean
- Barbecue Beans and Ribs by Food Lust People Love
- Skillet Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Panko Crusted Snapper by Supper for a Steal
- Gluten Free Grilled Pork Chops by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Boiled Shrimp for Father’s Day by The Catholic Foodie
- Dad’s Famous Baby Back Ribs by Family Foodie
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Lightened Up Fish Biriyani With Fresh Dill ! by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Pierogi by Healthy.Delicious
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
- Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters by Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuna Pasta Salad ~ Dad’s Recipe by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Bok Choy by Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad by Home Cooking Memories
- Couscous Tabbouleh by Soni’s Food
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Zabaglione with Fresh Berries by My Other City By the Bay
- Richest-Ever Chocolate Pound Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dad’s Cheesecake by Table for 7
- Cheese Cracker by The Urban Mrs
- Coconut Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Nutter Butters by Pies and Plots
- Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Golden Coconut Bars by Magnolia Days
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by NeighborFood
- Velvet Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Come celebrate Father’s day with the Sunday Supper Team! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.
Wishing you the freedom to shoot for the stars.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.