Japanese pickled ume plum is packed with magic!
Japanese Pickled Ume Plum:
- Combats fatigue thanks to the citric acid in the ume.
- Cleans the blood.
- Conquers aging agents...Well, it strengthens blood vessels and assists in the prevention of cell damage.
Need any more motivation to try Japanese pickled plum sushi?
- Pickled plum and perilla paste (ume shiso paste) and/or 3 pickled ume plums…I pray you’ve got a Japanese market near you. (It’s a tad pricey online.)
- 1½ cups cooked white short grain sushi rice (You’ll have lots leftover if you make only one sushi roll.)
- 1 sheet dried seaweed nori (or soy paper)
- ¼ of a Japanese cucumber thinly sliced
- 5 bean sprouts
Keep a small bowl of water available to wet your fingers.
For the ume shiso paste sushi roll:
1. Place the shiny side of the nori onto the plastic wrap covered sushi roll mat.
2. Scoop a thin layer of rice onto the top portion of the mat.
(More rice on nori translates into thicker sushi rolls.)?
3. Paint the plum perilla paste onto the rice.
4. Arrange the cucumbers and bean sprouts on top.
5. Gently roll.
6. Cut and enjoy!
For the pickled plum sushi:
1. With wet fingers or a tablespoon measuring spoon shape cooled rice into mini balls.
2. Cut the nori into strips and wrap around the mini rice balls.
3. Place half of a pickled ume plum on top. (Feel free to use a whole one… Please make sure you remove the pit first.)